Monday, April 23, 2012

Spender or a Thrift?

    I've always been the DIFFERENT one in my family. I do have similar qualities like my parents but a few things make you think otherwise. I have a keen interest in English literature like my dad, a moody nature like my mom but the things that set me apart are my singing skills and love for music, interest in algebra and of course my habit of saving.
    My dad is a spender. He prefers extravagance over simple things and my mom is just like him. My grandmother, she is a tight-wad. She is the kind of person who would rather starve than spend a few rupees. I might have picked up the thrift trait from her. However I am more balanced between spending and saving. I do love extravagant, lavish parties, food, drink and snob appeal but that's limited only to special important occasions. If I were a billionaire I would definitely opt for such a lifestyle but since I'm not I'll stick to the normal things most people go for. I have this habit of comparing cost to the worth of an object. An object has to compulsorily be at par with my expectations especially if I'm paying a good amount for it. I wouldn't call myself a miser or even stingy because I know I'm not. I wouldn't mind cashing out on useful things and stuff that had the ability to make my loved ones happy like arranging a Birthday Bash for my best friend, buying a branded watch for my dad, taking my parents out for dinner or indulging in services at the salon.
    I remember going on a trip to Thailand alone through a tour operator last Christmas where my dad gave me a more than sufficient amount of Bahts to spend on shopping. At first, I made up my mind that I would spend like it was the last day before all the malls would be closed down for good. When I reached Thailand, I went back to the old thrifty me. I thought ten times before buying any garment, whether it was worth the price and if I could buy the same kinda thing at a lesser cost in India. I was perhaps the person who did the least shopping in my entire group so much that my room mate, a 30 year old Homeopath asked me if I was alright. She told me that she had never seen an 18 year old care so much about money and think twice before spending. She said that was a unique trait. I was quite flattered by her comments. I ended up bringing back more than half of the money given to me for spending purpose. I regretted that later because there were so many things in Thailand that were hard to find in India. I wish I had thought twice before saving instead. I might go to Thailand again, may be next year if possible.
    My mom really appreciates my saving habit because she thinks it can help me someday for sure because the work you do today will reap fruits in the future. "Its good to save but be sure you don't lose out on all the great things in life". Take care :)
   

2 comments:

  1. Hi Sabrina, thanks for stopping by my blog and inviting me to yours! The first things I noticed immediately while reading your two entries were how stunningly beautiful you are, and at your amazing command of the English language. In America we are not required to learn other languages and it is quite startling to realize in other countries people learn my language and speak and write it with such beauty. Also, along the same vein, in America our youth is so self absorbed and obsessed with materialistic things, that if given money to spend on a trip to Thailand, i can almost guarantee that no money would be returned unspent. Especially due to the dilemma of cost. They do not even consider this when deciding what to buy, but more like "what will my friends think" or "how cool i will look with that". I often ponder the differences in American culture and other cultures and I believe Eastern (far and middle) cultures are far superior in most areas of education and child rearing. In America, we have succeeded in raising several generations of spoiled, self centered and lazy children. We would do well to study the ways of the Eastern world for clues in how to fix our people. Sorry, rant off. I enjoyed your blog. Keep it going. I am subscribed... ....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for reading my blog. Eastern culture is very different from American culture but that's slowly changing which can be a bad thing.

      Delete